Sunday, July 12, 2009

Deep Fried Daylilies

The meadows and pastures along my running route are full of edible plants. Today I start working my way through them.

Here's a view of the drainage ditch that runs along this part of the road, filled with daylilies, cattails and elderberries.









There are a number of ways that people prepare daylilies, but simply frying them was the most appealing of the easy recipes. Here's the one I used.









Raw, the flowers tasted very weakly of lettuce or snap pea greens. Fried, they tasted like salt and fried batter. The petals left a thin, not unpleasantly chewy center. In the future, I'd consider including them as an edible garnish (the way most of the recipes seem to), but if I want the novelty of a fried flower, I'll stick with squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails