Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Best Atrium Ever

The entrance to the research institute I work at has a really nice integration of work space and the natural world.

They rotate different flowers and trees between indoor soil beds and a greenhouse to keep them fresh. Occasionally they have to cut down trees when they get big enough for their roots to damage the foundation. There's a bubbling fountain under the cement steps and some kind of vine covers all four walls up to the second story skylights.

The orchids are my favorite (though this may change if they replace that palm with a banana!). The greenhouse is packed with bark-mounted orchids of all sizes, which are continually rotated when blooming to various hooks dangling from ceilings and mounted on walls. The more fragrant species manage to perfume the entire first floor of the building.

It's pretty awesome.








* Here's some more cool pictures - of the rotting original building in Yonkers
** I plan on using bark-mounted orchids as a rotating art collection when I get a house someday too!

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time I walked into BTI. I knew right away I wanted to work there. Unfortunately the the lab I interviewed with that day was not a good fit, but the second lab was awesome! And I got the see that awesome atrium 3-4 days a week for a couple years.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails