Thursday, October 15, 2009

An Unwelcome Visitor

I walked into by basement bedroom, brushing my teeth, when I spotted a shape on the floor. Some deep module in my brain instantly recognized the familiar image of a plastic dinosaur toy - as a voice slowly volunteered that, unlike my childhood home, this apartment contained no dinosaur toys...

It was a big 6" spotted salamander staring at me from my bedside!

This happened a few months ago. My herpetologist sister pointed out that they go a little crazy in the spring breeding season and that it probably wandered its way in through some crack in the foundation or extra space along some pipes. It sat calmly while I scooped it up and set it outside. The maintenance guy sealed up some holes the next day and I thankfully haven't had any uninvited boarders since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails